San Francisco, CA
CircleUp is seeking a General Counsel who will be responsible for all legal and compliance efforts of CircleUp and provide the highest quality legal counsel to the CEO, Board of Directors, and other internal leaders. The General Counsel will also serve as a strategic business partner who will collaborate with other internal leaders to accelerate the growth and evolution of the company. In addition, this attorney will manage high performing legal and compliance departments that are scaling with the organization.
CircleUp is an investment platform powered by technology. CircleUp leverages Helio, a proprietary predictive analytics platform, to source, evaluate, invest, and add value to fast-growing consumer & retail companies. CircleUp is bringing the data-driven revolution that occurred in the public markets to the private markets, starting with consumer & retail. CircleUp has a series of fund vehicles built on top of our core technology platform - CircleUp Growth Partners, CircleUp Credit Advisors and the systematic VC fund we are now raising.
CircleUp was recently honored as one of Fast Company's Top 10 Most Innovative Companies in Data Science and has been named a CB Insights FinTech 250, a Top 5 Most Disruptive Company in Finance by CNBC, and to the Forbes FinTech 50. Founded in 2012, CircleUp is headquartered in San Francisco and backed by Union Square Ventures, GV, Canaan Partners, QED Advisors, and others.
- Translate complex legal principles into practical and effective business solutions - quickly and decisively.
- Be a thoughtful, confident, detail-oriented Legal business partner to handle the business’ needs.
- Being flexible and willing to jump in and own what is needed in order to make the Company successful.
- Commitment to operational excellence and creating the highest quality work product
- Handle complex and ambiguous problems in a fast-paced and innovative startup.
- Work collaboratively with people from diverse professional backgrounds to handle a wide variety of business needs.
Key Qualifications & Characteristics:
- JD degree and 12+ years of legal experience
- Prior venture capital and/or asset management experience (specific experience related to the exempt reporting adviser regulatory regime will be a significant plus)
- Proven background in general corporate, commercial, investment management, data privacy, securities law, and IP management
- Business acumen with business oriented legal solutions and the ability to effectively collaborate with the other company leaders to move the business forward
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated record of living the CircleUp values (e.g., leading with integrity and empathy, demonstrating courage, and having pride in your impact)
- Ability and desire to learn new things quickly
- Ability to build effective relations with top-level management and the Board of Directors
- Ability to successfully manage legal and compliance department
- Proven track record of strong negotiation, communication, organizational, and management skills
We get really excited about those with the following:
- Startup experience
- An interest in helping entrepreneurs thrive by providing them with the capital and resources they need
If you got to this point, we hope you’re feeling excited about the job description you just read! Even if you feel that you don't meet all of the requirements and qualifications, we still encourage you to apply. We’re eager to speak with those who share our passion to help entrepreneurs thrive - not just those who match every bullet point in our job descriptions.
CircleUp is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status (including registered domestic partnership status), sex and gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, lactation and related medical conditions), gender identity and gender expression (including transgender individuals who are transitioning, have transitioned, or are perceived to be transitioning to the gender with which they identify), age, sexual orientation, Civil Air Patrol status, military and veteran status and any other consideration protected by federal, state or local law. We encourage those who really want to make an impact to apply for our open positions.
All Open Positions
San Francisco, CA
We are seeking a General Counsel to head all of CircleUp's Legal and Compliance efforts
Software Engineer, Data Pipelines
San Francisco, CA
Building, maintaining and optimizing our data pipelines within Helio. You will work closely with our Data Science and Engineering teams to implement performance improvements and engineering best practices.